Always wanted to make your own hand cream?
Try out this simple recipe for a natural hand cream with shea butter, jojoba oil, and Vitamin E.
Homemade Hand Cream Recipe
There are three stages to this homemade hand cream recipe so I have divided up the ingredients into these three stages as well.
Fat Stage: (above 75°C / 167°F)
12gr Jojoba Oil
8gr Emulsifying Wax
4gr Shea Butter
Water Stage: (above 75°C / 167°F)
70gr Boiling Spring Water
Heat Sensitive Stage: (below 40° C / 104°F)
1gr Vitamin E oil
1gr Essential Oils of your choice
1. Weigh all Fat Stage ingredients into a stainless steel bowl and place over a saucepan of boiling water (bain-marie). Bring up to a temperature of over 75°C (167°F).
2. When the Fat Stage is over 75°C (167°F), add the Water Stage ingredients to a larger stainless steel bowl. Swap the bowls over so the larger bowl is in the double boiler.
3. Pour the Fat Stage ingredients into the Water Stage ingredients and stir gently without creating air bubbles. Ensure the mix is still over 75°C (167°F) and stir continually for 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes, remove bowl from the double boiler and put into a pan of cold water to cool it down quickly. Keep stirring all the time.
5. When the cream is below 40°C (104°F) add the combined Heat Sensitive Stage ingredients and add to the cream. Stir thoroughly, jar and label.
This homemade hand cream recipe will make 100g of finished hand cream.
If you want to make larger amounts, simply double or quadruple the formulation knowing that the ratios of ingredients stay the same, and safe.
Note: make sure to work hygienically when making this, or any type of cream. This way you create a hand cream that you can keep for one year. But, I am sure you will use it up much faster because the cream feels great on your hands!
Where to Find the Ingredients for This Homemade Hand Cream
Different countries and different manufacturers have variations in the naming of raw materials.
There is a standardized system called INCI which allows you to search for the INCI (chemical) name rather than the trade or brand name.
Here Are the Same Ingredients but With INCI Naming:
- Jojoba Oil / Simmondsia Chinensis
- Emulsifying Wax / BTMS / Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate
- Shea Butter / Butyrospermum Parkii
- Spring Water / buy this from your local shop
- Glycerin / Glycerin
- Preservative / Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin
- Vitamin E / Tocopherol
- Essential Oils of your choice (you can use much less if the oils are very strongly aromatic)
Depending on where you are in the world, most, if not all, ingredients can be found on Amazon.
Or check out one of these local suppliers:
- USA: Makingcosmetics.com
- Canada: Newdirectionsaromatics.ca
- Australia: Newdirections.com.au
- UK: Aromantic.co.uk
- Spain: Cremas-caseras.es
- The Nederlands: Avantgardecosmeticswebwinkel.nl
- France: Aroma-zone.com
- Germany: Alexmo-cosmetics.de
- Italy: Formulatorsampleshop.eu
Tip: make sure you have a good kitchen scale to weigh all ingredients accurately in grams. This scale, or a similar one, would be a good option. And use a cooking thermometer. This one is a good and economical option that works both in °C and °F.
Click here to download this homemade hand cream recipe as a PDF.
And of course, this hand cream is perfect right now that we are washing our hands constantly during this coronavirus outbreak. But, it will also be a great cream to take with you on your next trip to keep your hands hydrated and silky smooth.
Like this easy homemade hand cream recipe? Pin it!
This blog about making your own hand cream contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you.